Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Introduction

My name is Leilah. Well, not really my given name, but my friends called me thus and it has kind of stuck on me. I am in my twenties and I originate from Africa.

I came to the United States a year ago to continue with my studies and hopefully make my mark on the outside world. I was so excited on the prospect of coming to the free world where supposedly all the money is and was absolutely and utterly shocked by the results. Life is just as hard here as anywhere else in the world and if anything, harder because everything is so regulated.

So I started my schooling in a two-year community college primarily because it is much cheaper and also because it has a smaller population which translates to the fact that it would be easier for me to adapt before moving on to a full fledged university and make something out of myself.

I have gone through so many things to get where I am currently and there is so much more that I have to go through before I am done with my schooling. And if anything happens along the way, at least I have the knowledge that I have done the very best I could within my knowledge.

I consider myself above average in my academic abilities. Since calling myself a genious would be both untrue and an invitation to making a fool out of myself and by calling myself a fool would be an outright lie. I believe I have my moment. Both shining and otherwise. So for lack of any other word, I would call myself an average joe ... er Jane. I am just another face in the crowd.

So thank you for joining me in my journey. I have no idea where it would lead. But then again if we all knew what was in store for us ahead, then life won't be as much fun would it?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leilah. It is refreshing to know that someone else is in the same boat as I am. I come from Iran and it was a blow to discover how things are so much different than what was perceived before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a really strong person to make it in these United States. And I am glad to read of your endeavors. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete