Thursday, July 30, 2009

Money for Schools

Here comes the big one. Most of the international students that I know have on one time or the other, had a problem with payin their way through school. There are limited ways in which a student could get assistance in paying their way through school.

First off, we are not eligible to receive federal aid (FAFSA), the Pell grant, and the loans that are available charge exorbitant amount of interest and of course you are required to have a co-signer.

So, to supplement the small income I was getting working 20 hours a week earning minimum wage, I knew that I had to get assistance of some sort or otherwise I'd be sunk. To say the least. So what to do? There's only one way to do it.... Scholarships!

There were several ways available: The easier sort was to join a school team that offered scholarships. Incidentally, a lot of money is endowed to schools that support a particular game as a sort of advertisement. And the more prestigious the school is, the more the money that is set aside to invest in the school sport and the school by extension.

Unfortunately for me, I had a problem. I was not generously endowed with the talents in sport. I can hold down on my own in class, but I am hopeless at the field. So the option of getting a scholarships was out of the question. I started looking for scholarships out of other means, and I believe that my diligince paid in the end as I got several offers that were not even mentioned on the schools website!

No comments:

Post a Comment